Tuesday, May 21, 2013
Love God, Love Others
Since the beginning of Louisiana Memorial there have been 41 presidents of the United States.
Did you know that Opelousas was the state capital of Louisiana for nine months in 1862?
Opelousas is known as the spice capital of the world.
Opelousas has a festival dedicated to Yams called the Yambilee Festival in October.
Over 200 years ago
In 1805, Bishops Whatcoat and Asbury sent Elisha W. Bowman as a Missionary from the Mississippi Conference to Louisiana. From New Orleans, he traveled through the swamps, up and down bayous to the “Appelousas” territory.
He organized a Methodist Society in Opelousas early in 1806, which was, as near as can be ascertained, the first Methodist Society in Louisiana. In August, Learner Blackman visited Bowman and together they administered the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper to the Methodist Society.
That first year, he accepted 17 new members in to the church. Services were later held in a community church between St. Landry and Vine Streets, near Cain Street.
On January 6, 1847, the Louisiana Annual Conference first met and organized in the Opelousas church.
In 1846, property was purchased at the corner of North Lombard and East Bellevue from the Fonda family and a new church was built, along with a parsonage built in 1881.
In 1902 the original church was replaced with a new structure, which itself was replaced with the current structure in 1956.
In 1939, The Methodist Episcopal Church, the Methodist Episcopal Church, South and the Methodist Protestant Church joined to form The Methodist Church.
With the building of the sanctuary in 1955, the name of the church changed to Louisiana Memorial Methodist Church in keeping with its historical significance in the Louisiana Annual Conference.
Bishop Aubrey G. Walton dedicated the new building in November 1960.
When the Methodist and Evangelical United Brethren Churches combined, we became Louisiana Memorial United Methodist Church.